- Apple Models know that Modelling can be an extremely tricky industry to break into and there are many people out there that prey on aspiring models and parents, taking sheer advantage of the fact that they want to become a model and will do anything or spend any amount of money to get there... Apple Models are aware of numerous modelling scams out there that the team at Apple Models want you to take note of and avoid.
- Apple Models would like you to approach modelling with caution and confidence in the knowledge that you are FULLY prepared and protected in your journey into this unregulated industry which will help you avoid being scammed along the way. Apple Models have put together some tips and general advice on how to enter the industry with your head screwed on.
Apple Models know that Modelling can be an extremely tricky industry to break into and there are many people out there that prey on aspiring models and parents, taking sheer advantage of the fact that they want to become a model and will do anything or spend any amount of money to get there... Apple Models are aware of numerous modelling scams out there that the team at Apple Models want you to take note of and avoid.
Apple Models would like you to approach modelling with caution and confidence in the knowledge that you are FULLY prepared and protected in your journey into this unregulated industry which will help you avoid being scammed along the way. Apple Models have put together some tips and general advice on how to enter the industry with your head screwed on.
- DON’T get confused between a MODELLING AGENCY and a MODELLING PLATFORM. Apple Models want to clarify that a modelling agency signs you up for FREE and you sign a contract with them in order to get you work. A MODELLING PLATFORM is a company such as Apple Models that give you the advice and marketing tools necessary to approach the RIGHT modelling agencies for you with CONFIDENCE. These marketing tools are usually composed of professional modelling portfolios by putting you in touch with REPUTABLE photographic studios that they know will put together a successful modelling portfolio for you. UNFORTUNATELY, there are some modelling platforms that pose as modelling agencies that also ask for upfront fees, which, as mentioned before is illegal. So we would advise that you DO YOUR RESEARCH on the best modelling platforms out there.
- REMEMBER that how reputable modelling agencies work is that they sign you up for FREE, and how they make there money is through taking a small cut of around 17-30% out of every job that you book through them. If you don’t book a job, they don’t get paid and Apple Models want you to think of a good agency in terms of being the middleman between the client and you, the model.
- You CAN be signed to several different agencies at once on what is called a NON-EXCLUSIVE CONTRACT. Apple Models want you to ALWAYS have someone read over a contract that you are offered by a modelling agency, this is to make sure that it works in your favour. Some modelling platforms actually do contract reviews for free. This means that they go over your contract with you thoroughly to ensure that the agency that potentially wants to sign you to their books have your best interest at heart.
- AVOID any companies that claim to guarantee you work, Apple Models want you to understand that the modelling industry is competitive which means that it’s simply down to what the client wants that defines you as a successful model. If you don’t fit the brief, you won’t get booked for the job. A COMPANY THAT SAYS THAT THEY CAN GUARANTEE YOU WORK IS MOST LIKELY A SCAM, simply on the grounds that no one is able to predict what a client wants their model to look like!
- Before making the decision to become a model, Apple Models believe that you MUST be able to MANAGE EXPECTATIONS. It’s ALWAYS beneficial to have a part time job so there is something financially stable to fall back on. Even if you DO get booked for several modelling jobs one month, the next month, you may have none, so it’s important that you are fully aware of the industry that you are getting into before entering into it blindly. REMEMBER, THE HARDER YOU WORK AND NETWORK, THE MORE CONTACTS YOU WILL MAKE AND THEREFORE YOU’LL BE ABLE TO BOOK MORE WORK AS A MODEL!
- Be wary of photographers that you find online that ask you for money directly to make up a portfolio for you, not only is it dangerous for you to meet up with someone that you don’t know but you also have no idea of the quality of their work. If they show you examples, they could very easily be fraudulent examples of someone else’s work so Apple Models would recommend it best for you to either approach a modelling platform for advice or find a REPUTABLE photographic studio that would be able to have a portfolio made up for you.
- Whether you’re signed up to an agency or not, Apple Models want to highlight the fact that a model WILL ALWAYS - ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO. If you’re a high fashion model, signed on an exclusive contract which means that you are only allowed to be signed exclusively to one agency - which is an EXTREMELY RARE occurrence, the high end/established agency will be able to pay for your portfolio and charge a PREMIUM on top of the percentage of commission that they take out of every job that you book through them, when you start getting regular work.
A smaller, boutique agency WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD to pay for a professional portfolio to be made up for you so they’ll send you to a reputable photographic studio and you would have to pay for your portfolio yourself. The focal point of usually getting booked for a job IS HAVING A PORTFOLIO, so Apple Models advises you to ALWAYS BE PREPARED! The more versatility and scope that you are able to display in your portfolio, the more jobs you’ll be able to book. A portfolio is an INVALUABLE tool that maximises your potential success of getting booked for multiple jobs, so make sure that you have a hard think in regards to whether or not modelling is something that you take seriously.
Apple Models hope that we’ve been able to answer all the questions playing on your mind regarding modelling scams. We want you to be safe and avoid modelling scams at all costs. If you have ANY questions at all on this topic - or you’re worried that you’ve been the victim of a modelling scam, then please don’t hesitate to contact us on,
T: 0207 734 5584 E: email@example.com
And we’ll be happy to provide you with the best advice on the modelling industry FREE OF CHARGE.